- February 22, 2021
- Posted by: administrator
- Category: SSL Certificates
Use the DigiCert Certificate Utility to Install Your SSL Certificate on Your Server
After DigiCert has validated your order and has issued the SSL certificate, you can use the DigiCert® Certificate Utility for Windows to install the certificate file to your Microsoft server.
If you have not yet created a CSR and need a simple way to create it, see the CSR Creation Instructions for Microsoft Servers.
How to Import an SSL Certificate to Your Microsoft Server
- On the Windows server or workstation where you created the CSR, open the ZIP file containing your SSL certificate and save the contents of the file (i.e. your_domain_com.cer) to the folder where you saved the DigiCert Certificate Utility executable (DigiCertUtil.exe).
- Run the DigiCert® Certificate Utility for Windows (double-click DigiCertUtil).
- In DigiCert Certificate Utility for Windows©, click SSL (gold lock)and then, click Import.
- In the Certificate Import wizard, click Browse to browse to the .cer certificate file (i.e. your_domain_com.cer) that DigiCert sent you, select the file, click Open, and then, click Next.
- In the Enter a new friendly name or you can accept the default box, type a friendly name for the certificate.
Note: The friendly name is not part of the certificate; instead, it is used to identify the certificate.
We recommend that you add DigiCert and the expiration date to the end of your friendly name, for example: yoursite-digicert-(expiration date). This information helps identify the issuer and expiration date for each certificate. It also helps distinguish multiple certificates with the same domain name.
8. To import the SSL certificate to your server, click Finish.
You should receive a message that the certificate was successfully imported. You should now see your SSL certificate in the DigiCert Certificate Utility for Windows©, under SSL certificates.
Note: If you get the Private Key Missing error.
7. You must now configure your Microsoft server to use this SSL certificate